Kitchen countertops are a big investment, and one that you’ll want to last for many years. If you’re in the market for a new countertop, you may be wondering if quartz is a good choice. Quartz is a popular material because it is durable and doesn’t scratch easily. But is it really as scratch-resistant as people say? In this blog post, the experts at Kitchen Express will answer the question: do quartz countertops scratch? Read on to find out more.
Are Quartz Countertops Scratch Resistant?
Quartz countertops are a popular choice for many homeowners due to their durability and scratch-resistant surface. While quartz is one of the hardest minerals on Earth, quartz countertops can still scratch under certain circumstances.
For instance, quartz can be scratched by using a knife or other sharp object on the surface. In addition, quartz countertops can be scratched by using abrasive cleaners or scrubbing pads. However, quartz countertops are still much more resistant to scratching than other types of countertop materials, such as granite or marble.
As long as you take care to use gentle cleaning methods and avoid using sharp objects on the surface, your quartz countertop should remain looking like new for years to come.
How to Fix Scratched Quartz Countertops
If your quartz countertop has become scratched, there are a few simple steps you can follow to fix it.
- First, clean the area around the scratch with a mild soap and water solution. You will want to remove any dirt or grime on the surface of the counter before you begin buffing out the scratch. Also, without any dirt on the countertop, you’ll get a better look at what you’re working with.
- Before you try any sanding on the scratch, you will want to try using a polishing compound. Since polishing compounds contain resin, these typically will work in removing the scratch from your quartz countertop.
- If the polishing compound does not work, sand the scratch gently with a fine-grit sandpaper. Be sure to sand in the direction of the grain to avoid damaging the quartz. Also be careful not to sand too hard, as you do not want to cause more scratches on the countertop.
- Once the scratch has been sanded down, wipe away any dust with a damp cloth.
- Finally, apply a quartz-colored epoxy or resin to the scratch and allow it to dry completely.
- You may need to apply multiple coats of this epoxy or resin to achieve a consistent color match.
These steps work best with smaller scratches. Larger scratches may require more intense steps with epoxy – it may be beneficial to contact a professional to help with larger scratches on your quartz countertop. After all, you want to make sure your countertops go back to looking good as new! A professional certainly will be able to make sure this happens.
How to Prevent Scratches on Quartz Countertops
While quartz countertops are an increasingly popular choice for many homeowners due to their durability and style, quartz is not immune to scratches and other damage. Here are a few steps you can take to help prevent scratches on your quartz countertop:
- Use mats or coasters under heavy objects to distribute weight and prevent scratching.
- Avoid using harsh cleaning chemicals or abrasive scrub pads, as these can damage the surface of the quartz.
- Wipe up spills immediately to avoid staining or etching the quartz.
- Place hot pans on a trivet or heat pad to prevent thermal shock damage.
By following these simple tips, you can help keep your quartz countertop looking like new for years to come.
Are Quartz Countertops a Good Option for Kitchen Remodel?
Quartz has long been a popular choice for kitchen countertops. It is an incredibly hard and durable material that is resistant to scratches, staining, and heat. Quartz is also low-maintenance and easy to care for, making it an ideal choice for busy families. In addition, quartz comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns, so you can find the perfect quartz countertop to complement your kitchen’s style. If you’re considering a kitchen remodel, quartz countertops are a great option to consider. With proper care, quartz countertops can last a lifetime.
Contact Kitchen Express Today
Quartz countertops are a great choice for your kitchen remodel because they are scratch resistant. However, scratches do happen and it’s important to know how to fix them and prevent them from happening in the first place. Kitchen Express in Greensboro, North Carolina, is here to help with quartz countertop installation and we want to make sure you are aware of all the benefits of this beautiful material. Contact us today if you have any questions about quartz counters or would like to schedule an in-home design consultation! Fill out the form below or give us a call at your earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you!